Friday, February 29, 2008

Update April 8, 2008 , 2 months no walking

As you all may know ALS causes increasing weakness of all muscles, and an almost inevitable result will be that you sooner or later will fall. On February 27th I fell while transferring to my wheelchair. Up to then it had always gone well but this time my legs gave out. My right foot sort of twisted under me and bore the brunt of my weight I guess. It started to swell up. Mary insisted that we go to emergency at the hospital in case it was broken. To make a long story short, I indeed broke a bone, the fibula, just above the ankle. The doctor gave me an aircast, which is less heavy and uncomfortable than a plaster cast. It has to stay on for 9 weeks. For this period I am not supposed to put any weight on that leg. If I do the bone may shatter and I would be in serious trouble. We are allowed to take the cast off for dressing and washing, but preferably not for the first five days. Regularly we have to go back to the hospital for x-rays and to see a doctor. Needless to say, this makes things a lot more difficult. I cannot stand on one leg to transfer from chair to bed, etc. Standing on two legs was already becoming difficult, hence the fall.
We have received help from the occupational therapist. She has arranged to have a "Cricket lift" (a smaller version of a Hoyer lift) delivered. We will be getting other help to assist with transfers etc.

We are thankful to the Lord for the comfort and peace he provides every day. We trust Him for all our needs. The Lord is good in all He does.

3 comments:

MVD said...

We are always praying for you and your family!
Hopefully your leg heals quicky!
Rick, and Megan

Lenie said...

Hallo Chris ,

We hopen dat je been voorspoedig mag genezen.

Veel liefs Hans Lenie en de kinderen

Bert Vos said...

Hi Chris . . sure hope things soon improve for you. Praying together for continued health.