Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Progress Report 4

My ALS is ever changing me. I am losing fine motor skills required for writing, and also breathing is becoming more difficult. I am now almost full time on the (bi-pap) machine that helps me breathe. The distance I am able to walk without support is also decreasing. This means also that attending church services is becoming very difficult, also due to the hot summer weather. We are able to hear the Worship services live by telephone. (phone 519-633-1254) Services are at 9.30 am and 5.00 pm. Anyone can dial in. (connection is automated) If you do, it is best to make connection about 5 minutes before the service starts.

We had applied for funding with the March of Dimes for handicapped home renovations and this was approved. However, due to the fact that my dear wife Mary cannot, long term, continue to do all the work around the house, since she has rheumatoid arthritis, we have reconsidered staying in our home of 24 years and doing the planned renovations, but instead will be moving to a condominium. This will remove all outside (grass, snow etc.) maintenance for her. The condo is almost at street level, and does not present the challenges of climbing stairs as does our present home. The floors are mainly hardwood, and are easier to navigate for a wheelchair than our carpeted rooms. The doors are also wider, and the washroom is larger, and easily adaptable for wheelchair use.

We praise the Lord for His provisions and blessing us with this new home.

2 comments:

Sylvia said...

I've been reading a few of your blogs (well as much as 2 little ones will allow). Very interesting to read how you are doing - good to keep such a positive outlook - definitely comes from God. I liked your family history blog - I've always liked reading about history (probably got that from my dad).

MVD said...

Rick and I are very happy for you that you are moving to a home that will be easier for not only you but your wife. We do miss seeing you in church, but are very glad that you can listen in!
Keeping you in our prayers.
Rick, Megan and Family.